Linux/UNIX: CentOS, RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu, Solaris
Virtualization: VMWare ESXi, oVirt, KVM, AWS EC2, Digital Ocean
Scripting: BASH, sh, Python, Perl, Make, awk, sed, regular expressions
Config Management: Ansible, CFEngine
Programming: C, C++, Java
Redundancy: DRBD, Informix HDR, conntrackd Clustering: Gluster, keepalived Monitoring: Nagios, Check_MK, Opsview
Standards: PCI DSS, SOC2, CIS
Authentication: Single sign-on (SSO),
Kerberos, Active Directory,
CAS, Cosign, Keycloak, PAM
Hardening: iptables, firewalld, OSSEC, Wazuh
Scanning: Nessus, Qualys, ClamAV, chkrootkit, rkhunter, ccsrch
Logging: Graylog, ELK/ElasticStack
Tools: git, Gradle
Protocols: HTTP, FTP, DNS, DHCP, LDAP, SMTP, TLS
Daemons: Apache, Tomcat, vsftpd, ProFTPd
Documentation: MediaWiki, dokuwiki, markdown
University of Minnesota Duluth
Sep 2006 – May 2010
B.S.: Applied Physics
GPA: 3.7 / 4.0
Linux Systems Administrator
The Connection | Jul 2013 – present
- Replaced our centralized logging system with a solution built from open source components, saving the company a net $38k.
- Standardized and automated our server build and configuration procedures with a lot of scripting.
- Implemented a robust backup solution using open source software, with replication to an offsite data center and easy rotation of air-gapped backups.
- Improved our monitoring coverage with custom-scripted service checks, then proactively detected and addressed issues before they impacted production.
- Centralized user account management with SSO technologies such as CAS, Kerberos, LDAP, and AD.
- Migrated a small fleet of ~30 physical servers to a virtual private cloud environment, which saved on hardware costs and improved our system management capabilities.
- Automated countless repetitive tasks, increasing productivity and eliminating issues due to human error.
- Performed routine maintenance activities such as system patching, software upgrades, server builds, and account creation.
- Documented all of the above and kept the documentation current.
CCGB, Penn State University | Aug 2012 – May 2013
- Supported student and faculty researchers by providing desktop support and systems troubleshooting.
- Increased data storage capacity, expanding a NAS by 30TB.
Linux Systems Administrator
The Connection | Jul 2010 – Aug 2012
- Created failover procedures using replication technologies in order to minimize downtime during maintenance windows.
- Drove several security initiatives for PCI DSS compliance, including:
- A vulnerability management program
- System hardening standards
- An intrusion detection system
- A patch management procedure
- A network vulnerability scanning process
- Documented new and existing operating procedures, which reduced the time spent on common tasks and prevented issues due to human error.
Physics Research Assistant
Physics Department, UMD | Jun 2008 – May 2010
- Created a script to execute jobs in parallel, which reduced the runtime of a wide range of computationally intensive algorithms, in some cases from days to hours.
- Gained experience collaborating with people across the globe.